Thursday – 6th Week of Easter

Gospel – John 16:16-20
In a Little While!
Church of Dormition, Jerusalem
 
Let’s take a little trip down memory lane. Are we there yet? When will it stop hurting? When can I go outside and play? When can I have dessert? Can we leave now? Can I open my Christmas presents? Is time-out over? We have all had those moments of questioning and sheer impatience! And the standard parental response? In a little while!! Seriously, a ‘little’ while? What exactly does that mean?
And yet these are Jesus’ words to His Apostles in today’s Gospel. I am going away but just for a little while. A little while you will not see and again a little while and you will! The Apostles are understandably perplexed and confused! What is He talking about? What does He mean? How long? Why? Why now? Why can’t You give us a straight answer?
 
We are such an impatient people! We can’t bear being left on hold waiting for service! We hate waiting in line at the grocery store! We can’t accept that sometimes things don’t happen when or as quickly as we would like. We want answers now; we want certainty! 
 
Even Jesus understands! He responds to the Apostles with kindness and compassion, with hope! You will weep and mourn but your grief will turn to joy! Be patient! Be hopeful! Believe! Those words are meant not only for the disciples, but also for us! 
 
My Creator, hold my hand and guide me today. Teach me patience to trust in You when I become anxious for tomorrow!

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Hear Me Now?